Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Personal Victory With Cigars!

Ok, this not related in any way, shape or form to my usual rants related to business. Over the last several years I have developed personal tastes that have "snob" type tendencies.

For instance, I am a coffee snob- I can't do the church basement coffee any longer. If I wanted tea, I would have made it from tea. I am a beer snob- I prefer the darker beers with a bold, carmel/hop filled flavors. Sure, a MGD is fine on a hot day, but I wouldn't buy a frig full of them. Finally, over the years I have come to appreciate a fine cigar. As Winston Churchill once said "a fine woman is still a woman, but a fine cigar is a smoke." There is much to be appreciated in Churchill and fine cigars.

My personal victory lies in humidification control in my humidor. I don't have a fancy walk-in job, just a nice desktop version given to me by dear co-workers. However, living in Minnesota where we have extreme temperature and humidity changes, keeping a modest 72% humidity and 68 degree humidor is a bit challenging. Finally, after months of trying to make the system work provided with the humidor, I have discovered a solution that works with minimal effort and is highly cost effective. I went to my local major big-box retailer that seems to be taking over the world and bought a $.98 travel soap dish. Then, a small bag of sponges that can be trimmed to fit into the soap dish. Finally, a jug of humidification solution sold at a tobacconist. I drilled holes in the top of the dish, cut to fit the sponge in the bottom and filled the sponge with the solution. I closed the lid on the dish, placed in my humidifier and viola! Three days later I had perfect humidification! Sounds so simple it's stupid.

Many of you may have this solution already figured out and in place. But I got to tell you, I found every other contraption on the market that costs much more than the $1.59 I got into this baby. I had to share. And yes, I am smoking my perfectly humidified cigar as we speak in celebration, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment